Chili Open: Still time to register!
Join us for the popular Chili Open golf outing, at Leslie Park Golf Course (LPGC, 2120 Traver Road), Sunday, Nov. 17, 10 a.m. with drink specials, prizes and great chili. Format is a two-person scramble. $50/team includes: 18 holes of golf with a cart, continental breakfast, lunch (hot dog, chips, drinks). Deadline to register for this event is Wednesday, Nov. 13 (full payment due). Please sign up online. Questions? Call LPGC at 734.794.6245.
Free Veterans Day activities
To observe the 2019 Veterans Day holiday, Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation will say thank you to military veterans with special offerings at four locations:
* Veterans Memorial Park Indoor Ice Arena and Buhr Park Outdoor Ice Arena will offer free ice skating and skate rental for military veterans on Sunday, Nov. 10. Veterans Park open skate times are 1–2:30 p.m., 2150 Jackson Avenue; and open skating at Buhr is 3:15–5:30 p.m., 2751 Packard Road.
* Military veterans can play nine or 18 holes at Huron Hills Golf Course free of charge on Sunday, Nov. 10. Power cart rental is $5. 3465 E. Huron River Drive.
* Mack Indoor Pool will offer free swimming to military veterans Monday, Nov. 11 during lap swim time, noon–6:30 p.m. and 8–9 p.m. The pool is located at 715 Brooks St., inside Ann Arbor Open School.
Natural Area Preservation Stewardship Workdays
Please wear long pants and closed-toe shoes. All participants must complete a release form, and all minors should be accompanied by a guardian. Tools, snacks and know-how provided.
* Saturday, Nov. 9, Bird Hills Nature Area, 9 a.m.-noon. Autumn in Bird Hills Nature Area is a delight. The picturesque trees make it a wonderful place to spend a morning. Join us to maintain the beauty by cutting invasive shrubs and collecting native seeds. Meet us at the entrance on Beechwood Drive, off of Sunset Road.
* Sunday, Nov. 10, Foxfire West Nature Area, 1-4 p.m. Work with us, using hand saws and loppers, to remove non-native shrubs. Meet us at the park entrance on Birchwood Drive, between Hickory Point Drive and Timbercrest Court.
Adjusted drop-in tour hours at Cobblestone Farm
On Sunday, Nov. 10, Cobblestone Farm will hold open house tours (of the rental space) noon-3 p.m. Due to the Veterans Day holiday, Cobblestone Farm will be closed on Monday, Nov. 11 and will open Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 8 a.m. Additionally, there will be no drop-in tours due to a private event that day. Drop-in tours are also cancelled on the following days: Dec. 3, 10, 24 and 31. To schedule a tour call 734.794.6230.
Tuesday, Nov. 12, Bruegger’s Bagels, 709 N. University Ave., 7:30-8:30 a.m. Join Ecologist Jacqueline Courteau as she shares ideas and prompts for using nature journaling to connect to nature. Not just a field notebook, a nature journal can be used as a form of meditation and reflection, to heighten observation skills and to increase feelings of gratitude and connectedness — to nature, to community and to memory.
Shop local at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market (AAFM)
Shop local for all your holiday needs! We have a wonderful fall bounty available, including pumpkins, wreathes and holiday centerpieces, hot coffee and cider, mums, fall veggies, honey, eggs, sourdough bread and more. Wednesdays in November and December are Customer Appreciation Days. Every vendor will offer a special on Wednesdays only, so shop around for good deals. Wednesday market continues until Christmas; AAFM is open on Saturdays year-round. For details, visit our website. 315 Detroit St.
Additional skate times added at Buhr Park Outdoor Ice Arena
We’re excited to announced we have added additional times for drop-in hockey (Mondays, 9-10 p.m.) and sticks and pucks (Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m.) Mark your calendars. We hope to see you on the ice. To learn more about our hours and offerings visit our website. 2751 Packard Road.
Parks & Crafts: A new “park”nership
Ann Arbor’s Public Works Unit, the Ecology Center and GIVE 365 have created a program that involves making crafts, learning about recycling and sustainability and participating in a park activity provided by GIVE 365. See the attached flyer and save the dates from now through June 2020.
Community Action Network’s (CAN) Turkey Basket Drive
Did you know just $15 buys a family of four a meal? Your donation to Feed a Family will fund CAN’s food-related programs year-round. Donations are tax-deductible. To learn more visit our website.
Planning a holiday party?
The Ann Arbor Senior Center is the perfect venue to host your next private event! Our charming facility in the Burns Park neighborhood of Ann Arbor offers two event spaces, or the opportunity to rent the entire building. Our gallery room offers beautiful skylights with natural light to the gallery-feel of clean walls and classic beams. The conference room offers a cozy space for additional seating to the gallery room, or for a separate event or meeting space. Stop by for a tour, call 734.794.6250 or contact Brittany at firstname.lastname@example.org. 1320 Baldwin Ave.