Register your child for kinderskate at Veterans Memorial Park Ice Arena, 2150 Jackson Ave.
This instructional skating program offers a kinderskate level for children ages 3½-6. Register today for the next session hosted on Mondays at 1:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 1:10 p.m. Session 3 runs Jan. 20-March 15 (eight classes), $72 resident/$90 nonresident; and session 4 runs March 16-April 25 (six classes), $55 resident/$67 nonresident. No double runners. Helmets are required. Visit the website to register or call 734.794.6235.
Shop local at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market during the Winter, 315 Detroit Street
Shop local and fresh year round at the farmers market. Saturdays continue all winter, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Grab a hot cup of fresh coffee or cider and shop for greens and salad mix, apples, root veggies and garlic, Polish and Mediterranean food, candles, jewelry, chicken, baked goods and tons more. Free parking in the market lot.
Upcoming programming at the Ann Arbor Senior Center, 1320 Baldwin Ave. The Ann Arbor Senior Center offers a variety of weekly and special event programming throughout the month.
* GROOVE Dance Class, every Monday, Jan. 6-March 9, 6-7 p.m. All fitness levels and abilities for those 15 years and older are welcome. No dance experience required. Register for the entire 10-meeting series for $80, or drop in and pay $12, nonmembers; $10, members.
* Edward Jones Coffee Club, Thursdays, Jan. 9, 23, Feb. 13, 27, 1-2 p.m. The group will discuss current events, the economy and investing in an informal setting. Refreshments will be served at the free coffee club hosted by Joe Wilkinson.
* Keeping in Touch with Your Grandkids – Using Video Chat: Friday, Jan. 24, 10-11 a.m. Jim Keen, of Keen Focus Technology Tutoring, will demonstrate and teach how to safely and easily keep in touch with your grandkids using video chat! Free.
* Euchre, every Monday, 6-8 p.m. in the Ann Arbor Senior Center conference room. Bring a partner or show up alone and we’ll pair you with a group. $2, nonmembers; members, free.
* Bag Lunch Bible Study, every Wednesday, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Remember to bring a snack or bag lunch to enjoy. $2, nonmembers; members, free.
* Movie Matinee, every Wednesday, 1-3:30 p.m. $2, nonmembers; members, free. Includes complimentary popcorn.
Natural Area Preservation Stewards’ Circle: Taking Meaningful Photographs in Nature
Tuesday, Jan. 14, 7:30-8:30 a.m. at Bruegger’s Bagels, 709 N. University Ave. Do you feel like your photographs of your work could be better? How do you set up a shot so that your photograph tells a story or makes the viewer feel a certain emotion? How can we most effectively show viewers the work we’ve accomplished? Come get some tips on nature photography from an expert. Free.
MLK Jr. Day Skate and Tribute Event
Monday, Jan. 20, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. It’s the 25th anniversary of the day of service that celebrates the life and legacy of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. GIVE 365 volunteers are hosting an MLK Jr. Day skate and community celebration in honor of the humanitarian. Join this fun ice skating event featuring games on the ice, hot chocolate and s’mores, and leave inspired by Dr. King’s life and legacy. Refreshments and activities are included with regular skating admission rates. Adult resident, $5; nonresident, $6; youth/senior resident, $4; nonresident, $5. Skate rental $3. Veterans Memorial Park Ice Arena, 2150 Jackson Ave., 734.794.6235.