Update From Jeanice K. Swift, Superintendent of Schools
- Our AAPS school plan features layers of protection against transmission of COVID-19; we understand that this is the best way to keep our students and staff learning together in school.
- The weekly AAPS COVID-19 Case Dashboard, updated today, shows 186 cases reported this week. This is the highest number of weekly cases reported during this pandemic so far and reflects the continuing high levels of COVID transmission occurring in our Ann Arbor community.
- Vaccination status continues to matter for all staff and students ages 5-18. Our AAPS COVID Response Team continues to closely monitor and work through case situations, particularly in some schools where we observe groups of cases emerging.
- AAPS COVID School Guidance and Clarification: AAPS COVID Response Team has updated guidance for AAPS K-12 schools based on updated WCHD guidance; this week, we offered additional clarification on AAPS school guidance here.
- Quarantine Learning Program (QLP): When students need to miss classes, the AAPS QLP is available to support them. QLP learning facilitators provide live instructional support for students K-12 who are out of school for short-term illness. Students and parents wishing to learn more about the QLP may do so here.
- Vaccination Efforts: The final AAPS/MDHHS vaccination clinic will be held on February 1st at Pioneer High School, with vaccines available to AAPS students ages 5-18, staff, and family members of students and staff. We have completed 11 AAPS vaccination events since November, with approximately 1,500 student vaccines and over 200 staff and family boosters administered.
- Home Test Kits: We are excited to announce drive-thru distribution dates for free home COVID test kits AAPS received from the MDHHS Backpack Program. Request your COVID Home Test Kits Here then stop by a Pick-Up Event below to pick up your test kits. Anyone who receives a test MUST complete a pre- and post-survey at bit.ly/MIBackpack.
- Weds, Feb 2, 4:15-6:00pm: Scarlett Middle School
- Fri, Feb 4, 4:15-6:00pm: Forsythe Middle School
- Tues, Feb, 8 4:15-6:00pm: Clague Middle School
You may request up to 4 kits for a total of 8 tests. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ventilation Update: During the cold weather, AAPS will continue to utilize enhanced ventilation strategies to the maximum extent possible, as well as regularly replace MERV-13 filters throughout the district. You may learn more about our ongoing work to improve indoor ventilation here
- Student Attendance: We have tracked attendance closely over the 17 days in January since our return from winter break, and despite COVID-19 and winter weather, our student attendance numbers have remained strong. Average student attendance is 89.3%, and is very similar to attendance in prior January months. Many thanks to our students, staff and families for prioritizing class attendance and learning.
- Transportation Update: Beginning Monday, Jan. 31st, we are restoring bus route service that has been suspended during prior weeks; we sincerely appreciate the patience, effort and sacrifices of everyone through the continuing operations challenges we face. Unfortunately, some routes will be designated for reduction during the coming two weeks; parents have been notified of changes via email and phone call. We will continue to vigilantly monitor this transportation situation daily and work to restore transportation routes as soon as we can mobilize healthy and qualified staff to serve. More information on transportation efforts may be referenced here.
More in-depth information from this week’s Wednesday Superintendent Update