Football: FGR rolls Old Redford to improve to 2-0 (with WLAA photogallery)

While the score was a fairly close 24-14 at halftime, Father Gabriel Richard seemed to have things under control in its game Friday with visiting Detroit Old Redford – but something was a little off for the Irish. Old Redford was successful in the first half moving the football and put up two scores on a defense that allowed just eight points in a 31-8 win over Clio in the opener.

The Irish shored up the defense, made some adjustments and found their groove in the second half and coasted to a 54-14 win over Old Redford. FGR has won as many games (two) in two games this season than the green and white won all of last year. So, yeah, they are off to a good start.

FGR struck early – really early. And it was a strange one – really strange.

On their second offensive play from scrimmage Jack Smith went right up the middle. Seventy five yards later, the speedy sophomore was celebrating in the end zone after going untouched. While he was racing up the middle, the Old Redford defense was chasing another Irish player (or a shadow) to their left while Spore seemed to go totally unnoticed up the middle.

QB Gregory Kendzicky ran in the two-point conversion and less than 1 minute into the game, FGR led 8-0.  


The Irish couldn’t take advantage of an Old Redford turnover, missing a long field goal. And FGR had two touchdowns in the first quarter called back because of penalties – in the end it didn’t matter, but in the moment the FGR coaches were not happy.

With 31 seconds left in the first quarter, Kendzicky threw a 13-yard TD pass to a wide open Brandon Victor. Matthew Montgomery ran in the two points to give FGR a 16-0 lead.

But Old Redford answered early in the second quarter to cut the deficit to 16-6 on a 12-yard TD run.

The Irish answered the visitor’s answer with a 9-yard TD run straight up the middle by Montgomery. Kendzicky hooked up on the two points and the Irish led 24-6 with 6:03 left in the first half.

FGR scored three more times in the second half while keeping the Ravens off the board the rest of the way.  

A long pass by Old Redford moved the ball deep into FGR territory and the visitors scored on a 3-yard TD run on fourth down to cut the lead to 24-14 with 4:11 left in the half.


With 1:15 left in the half, Kendzicky threw a 45-yard TD pass to Paul Hehmann, who won the sprint to the corner of the end zone to give the Irish a 30-14 lead. Montgomery ran in the two points and FGR took a 32-14 lead into halftime.

The Irish would score three touchdowns in the second half. Smith had his second of the game and Kendzicky and Luke Klinkhammer also scored for the home team.

FGR forced three turnovers in the win.  

A big test awaits the Irish on Friday as they travel to Macomb Lutheran North for a 7 p.m. game against the Mustangs. Lutheran North defeated FGR 31-7 last year and reached the playoffs, losing in a pre-district game.

The Mustangs (1-1) opened with a 21-14 win over Livonia Clarenceville before falling 41-6 to a very good Romulus Summit team on Friday.