Hockey: FGR-Greenhills knocks off Huron in Jilek Cup consolation game

Sometimes, it takes a while for a young hockey team to find their legs and hit their stride. While the Father Gabriel Richard-Greenhills hockey team is only 5-5 on the season, they could be 10-0 – that’s how competitive they have been.

And head coach Clint Robert couldn’t be more pleased with how his Irish are coming along.

“I am super proud of this team,” said Robert, whose roster includes seven freshmen and only a handful of players who saw significant ice time on last year’s team that reached the state quarterfinals. “I’m really surprised at how fast they’ve come together and they keep getting better every time out.”

They looked pretty good in the consolation game of the annual Jilek Cup on Saturday at the Ice Cube as they knocked off a scrappy Huron team 9-1. The Irish scored five goals in the first period before Huron got on the board with a goal late in the opening period.


Co-captain Quinton Gove had a hat trick and fellow co-captain JT Hazard had two goals in the win.

At 1:23 of the first period, Hazard scored his first of three goals with assists from Jack Waldo and Nolan Pavlack. At 6:21, Beau Brewer scored with assists from Sean Babcock and Pavlack to make it 2-0.

Gove scored his first of three goals at 7:35 with assists from Ryan Koszycki to make it 3-0. At 8:51, Jack Lapinski scored with assists from Hazard and Waldo to push the lead to 4-0. Hazard scored at 15:17 (with assists from Waldo and Koszycki) to give FGR-Greenhills a 5-0 lead.

At 16:01 of the first period, the River Rats got on the board when Turner Aldrich scored with an assist from Kaiwen Liu.

FGR-Greenhills led 5-1 after one.

Gove netted two goals in the second period (assists to Hazard and Waldo on the first goal) to push the Irish’s lead to 7-1. At 16:46, Joseph Scannell scored with an assist from Stephen Holody to make it 8-1.

Scannell ended the game early in the third period with an assist from Griffen White to make it 9-1.

The Irish were coming off an impressive showing the night before, battling Skyline in a semifinal game on Friday night. The Eagles landed in the finals after a hard-fought 4-3 win over the Irish.

“They are a very good team but we played well,” Robert said. “The shots (33-30) were even and it was a competitive hockey game.”